Analysis of guns sold to MPs
(based on data received under RTI by Activist Mr. Ambrish Pandey)
Mr. Ambrish Pandey, an RTI activist, had filed an RTI on sale of guns to MPs. Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW) has analysed that data and came up with the following analysis:
- A total of 756 guns were sold to MPs and VIPs between 1987 and 2012.
- A total of 675 guns were sold between 1987 and 2001, 39 between 2001 and 2004, and 42 between 2005 and 2012.
- Between 2001 and 2012, 82 MPs have purchased guns from the government.
- 18 of these 82 MPs who were sold guns have pending criminal cases against them, including charges of murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping etc., at the time of sale.
- Amongst the 82 MPs who have been allotted guns from the government, Atiq Ahmed from Uttar Pradesh has 44 criminal cases including charges of murder, attempt to murder etc., followed by Abu Asim Azmi from Maharashtra and Rakesh Sachan from Uttar Pradesh with 7 cases each.
- These are guns seized by Customs and then sold to MPs and VIPs on a first come first served basis. In earlier years these guns were sold well below market price. Recently the price was hiked to include tariff.