In the wake of the recent judgment of by the Special CBI court where former Haryana CM and his son were sentenced to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment, we did an analysis on how many of our current MLAs/MPs are facing probe under Prevention of Corruption Act. While all political parties claim that they are working on removing corruption from society, almost all of them have been consistently giving tickets to candidates who are facing cases under Prevention of Corruption Act. We appeal to Political Parties to stop giving tickets to such people and also appeal that all cases on current MPs & MLAs should be fast-tracked.
ADR has analyzed the self declared affidavits, submitted to the Election Commission of India at the time of contesting election, of 4835 sitting MPs and MLAs across the country. Out of these 4835, 1448 members or 31 % have declared criminal cases against them. Out of these 1448 members who have declared criminal cases, 641 have declared serious criminal cases like rape, murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping, robbery, extortion etc.
This report focuses on elected representatives who have declared in their self-sworn affidavit corruption cases under Prevention of Corruption Act.
- A total of 98 candidates with corruption cases under Prevention of Corruption Act have been given tickets by various political parties during elections in last 5 years (including Lok Sabha 2009 and all the state assembly elections since 2008).
- Of the major political parties who have given tickets (in Lok Sabha and State Assembly elections in last 5 years) to candidates facing cases under Prevention of Corruption Act, INC has given tickets to 24 such candidates, BSP to 9 such candidates, AIADMK to 7 such candidates, SAD to 6 such candidates, DMK to 5 such candidates, BJP to 5 such candidates, INLD to 4 such candidates and RJD also to 4 such candidates.
- Out of these 98 candidates, 36 candidates won the elections. These include 4 sitting MPs in Lok Sabha 2009, 3 sitting MPs in the current Rajya Sabha and 29 MLAs in various state assemblies.
Lok Sabha 2009 and Rajya Sabha
- In Lok Sabha 2009 elections, a total of 15 candidates with cases under Prevention of Corruption cases were given tickets by various political parties.
- Of these 15 candidates, INC gave tickets to 4 candidates with cases under Prevention of corruption Act. BSP and BJP each gave to 2 such candidates and AIADMK, SAD, DMK, RJD, INLD, JDU, SP each gave ticket to 1 such candidate
- Of these 15 candidates who have declared cases under Prevention of Corruption Act , 4 MPs won. These are: Jagdis Sharma of JDU from Jahanabad constituency, Rajaiah Siricilla of INC from Warangal constituency, Dr. Rattan Sign Ajnala of SAD from Khadoor Sahib constituency and Lalu Prasad Yadav of RJD from Saran constituency.
- Also, in the current Rajya Sabha, 3 MPs have declared Prevention of Corruption cases against them. These are T. M. Selvaganapathi of DMK, Faggan Singh Kulaste of BJP and Rashid Masood of INC.
Current State Assemblies
- 80 candidates with cases under Prevention of Corruption Act have been given tickets by various political parties in elections to various state assemblies that have been held in last 5 years.
- Out of these 80, 29 won and are currently MLAs
- Of these 29 MLAs who declared criminal cases on them, state-wise distribution is as follows: 7 MLAs are from Tamil Nadu and 3 each from Haryana, Jharkhand and Punjab. Current Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Orissa assemblies have 2 MLAs each who have cases under Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Of these 29 MLAs who declared criminal cases on them, party-wise distribution is as follows: 8MLAs won on INC ticket, 6 on AIADMK ticket, 3 on INLD ticket and 2 on SAD ticket. BJP, BJD, DMK, JMM, NCP each have 1 such MLA who has declared cases under Prevention of Corruption Act.
- All the political parties should stop giving tickets to candidates facing criminal cases under Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Fast tracking of the cases should be done against all the sitting MPs and MLAs who are facing criminal charges under Prevention of Corruption Act.
For details you could write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Media queries: ADR - +91-8010394248